How a Mikey’s Way Gift Helps
Each year approximately 15,000 children are diagnosed with cancer; treatment lasts about 3 years. Here’s how a Mikey’s Way gift helps:
Connection: Children undergoing long-term treatment are separated from friends and family for long periods of time. Mikey’s Way gifts help them stay connected.
Diversion: Patients are able to divert their attention from the various negative stimuli associated with treatment and instead focus on the more positive stimuli provided by the Mikey’s Way gift.
Empower: Once a diagnosis is made, the child is robbed of much of the decision-making he/she was accustomed to. Mikey’s Way gifts help to re-empower the patient in treatment.
Normalcy: Mikey’s Way gifts can help to restore a sense of normalcy under circumstances that are anything but normal.
Escape: Our gifts allow the child to “escape” whenever or wherever they may feel overwhelmed.
Mikey’s Way gifts are:
- Wi-Fi ready, providing connection with friends, family and the outside world.
- Portable enough to travel from hospital, to doctor appointments, to procedures and home.
- Durable enough to last from the day of diagnosis to the end of treatment.
- Adaptable, able to engage the pediatric patient through his/her normal stages of development.
- Versatile, providing access to music, movies, games, and connection via voice, video, and social media platforms.
- Accessible whenever and wherever the child may need it.