The everyday challenges for pediatric cancer patients.
Portable, Wi-Fi ready electronics help overcome challenges for pediatric cancer patients.
A childhood cancer diagnosis and the treatment regimen that follows can be profoundly stressful, affecting all aspects of a child’s life. As a result, children and teens face enormous challenges trying to cope with the rigor, uncertainty and pain associated with long and grueling treatment. The challenges for pediatric cancer patients persist for the duration of treatment – on average about three years. They include:
- Isolation from friends, family and school.
- Restrictions from their normal daily activities and social interactions including sport teams, dance classes, etc.
- Loss of a sense of empowerment ie. not being able to make even the simplest of decisions for themselves (what to eat, what to wear, etc.)
- Fear of an uncertain future, including the effect of treatment protocols that lie ahead.
- Having to shuffle between treatments, doctor appointments and various medical facilities for an extended period of time, often over long distances.
- Loss of a sense of normalcy in their lives.
- Disruption in their normal psychosocial development.
Wi-Fi ready electronics can overcome challenges for pediatric cancer patients
The challenges pediatric cancer patients face often lead to stress, depression and anxiety. Research in the field of psychoneuroimmunology (mind-body connection) shows that stress and depression affect the body’s immune response to cancer and infections.
However, portable, durable, Wi-Fi ready electronics have become a vital tool to the pediatric cancer patient while in treatment. These electronics help to address the negative physical and psychosocial effects of long term treatment. Since these electronics are portable, versatile, accessible, durable, adaptable and Wi-Fi ready, they can help pediatric cancer patients by:
- Connecting to friends, family and school at a time of significant isolation.
- Diverting attention from adverse stimuli such as pain, fear and anxiety to positive stimuli accessible on the device.
- Providing escape whenever the child feels overwhelmed by the treatment protocol.
- Empowering children at a time when most decision making or sense of control has been lost.
- Providing access to educational resources for at-home/outpatient care where clinicians can direct patients.
- Facilitating the critical social contact children need to allow a more normal developmental process.
- Providing a durable, portable device that can accompany and grow with the child, relative and engaging as he/she matures.
- Providing a sense of normalcy by allowing the child to return to some of his/her previous activities.
More information about how Wi-Fi ready devices can help pediatric cancer patients cope.
To learn more about the partnership between our bodies and minds click here to read a message from Dr. Abraham Bartell, MD, MBA, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital. To learn more about the electronic gifts distributed by Mikey’s Way Foundation that overcome the challenges for pediatric cancer patients, click here.